Ncurses seems to not install 'tabs' command.

lfs65 at cruziero.com lfs65 at cruziero.com
Sun Dec 6 04:57:36 PST 2009

Hi,

In the LFS-6.5 book, in the 'Contents of' section on the Chapter-6
Ncurses page
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/ncurses.html#contents-ncurses),
it says that a command called 'tabs' is installed as part of Ncurses.

But, I just don't see it anywhere on the completed LFS-6.5 system.

Should a command called 'tabs' be there? Or does it get renamed to
something else? Or doesn't get installed under some circumstances? Or
is the book wrong? Or is the book entry using 'tabs' as a shorthand for
something else? Or what?

I don't really know or track Ncurses closely enough, to know offhand
what's what here. Had a look at Ncurses source, and tried a (long-ish
-shot) compile with additional config option '--enable-hard-tabs'; but
to no avail. I had a brief, skim-look at the Ncurses website &
elsewhere, but didn't see anything obviously pointing to, say, 'tabs'
having been renamed, or removed from the package in some recent(-ish)
version, or anything like that.

((Btw, a short script here showed that all of the
commands/libraries/files/dirs/&c listed in the book's various 'Contents
of <pkgname>' sections, were all present OK in the completed LFS-6.5
system - except for Ncurses' 'tabs'; the script handles ok the
'non-real' entries, such as 'man pages' in section
'6.8. Man-pages-3.22' .))

akhiezer