Linux-2.6.30.9 build failure fixed & new problem show up

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 5 15:19:28 PST 2009

2009/12/5 William Immendorf <will.immendorf at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Mykal Funk <mykalfunk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Ken that got the 2.6.30.9 kernel compiled. But I can't seem to
>> boot it. It complains about not having an NFS mount then asks for a root
>> floppy. If I hit a key, the kernel panics. I haven't figured out how to
>> capture the output.
>>
>>  I've googled around and am not finding anything. I've checked my Grub
>> settings and they seem fine. I've double-checked the kernel config and
>> it includes support for reiserfs, which is what the LFS 5 is on.
> Try building the generic EIDE/PATA driver into the kernel.
>
> --
> William Immendorf
> The ultimate in free computing.
> Messages in plain text, please, no HTML.
>
> --------------
 Yeah, I think William has probably hit the nail on the head here
- you mentioned this was very old hardware.

 One of the problems with 2.6 was its very long gestation
(ISTR in excess of 70 versions of the 2.5 development series)
and an enormous number of things changed so there might
be a lot more to change once you have it booting.

 If that turns out to be the case, a description of how to get to
2.6 from 2.4 is in fact at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/OLD/kernel-2_6-migration.txt

 To use modules, I *think* the important thing was the
'moveold' which *should* allow both 2.4 and 2.6
kernels to run.  As a precaution, copy all the
programs from modutils before this, just in case
they get overwritten.  You should also check that
your 2.4 kernel can boot to a useful state without
wrong.

 If that works, you can use modules, then modprobe
them as necessary until you find which are
necessary.  You can find module-init-tools-3.1 at
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

HTH, and good luck!

ĸen
--