Version 6.5 - 6.15.1 GCC compile failure

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 1 23:47:06 PST 2009

Sean Porterfield wrote:
> As background, I'm using VirtualBox with the LFS LiveCD.  I haven't
> learned how to copy/paste from my real PC to the VirtualBox, so I'm
> typing everything by hand.

It shouldn't be difficult to install the book on the virtual box.

> After compiling and installing gcc, I tried to compile dummy.c but it
> failed.  Any suggestions on how to figure out where I screwed up?
>
> dummy.log ends with:
> /usr/bin/ld: : No such file: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This says that ld was not given a file named ' ' to link. That's
quite odd. Or maybe not. Were there two spaces in that message?
IOW, one space, like this "/usr/bin/ld: : No..." or
two spaces, like this     "/usr/bin/ld:  : No..."?
If the former, then it was passed a parameter which was the empty
string, if the latter, then a one space file name. Either one is
pretty weird.

> Earlier in dummy.log I see an odd message that might be related:
> ignoring nonexistent directory
> "/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/include"

I'd think this would cause the compile to fail, not the link.

What does

$ gcc -dumpspecs

produce?

Mike