util-linux-ng-2.14.1

Mark McCorkell markmccorkell at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 10:33:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 14:28 +0000, jnbutler at jnbutler.com wrote:
> > >From:     Mark McCorkell <markmccorkell at tiscali.co.uk>
> > >Date:     4/28/09 12:27Subject:  Re: util-linux-ng-2.14.1
>
> > >On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 18:15 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > jnbutler at jnbutler.com wrote:
> > > I searched the FAQ, Errata, and the mailing list but did not find
> > > anything about this error I'm getting while compiling
> > > util-linux-ng-2.14.1. Everything else up to this point configured
> > > and compiled successfully. Thanks for any help you can provide.
> > >
> > > My system is Fedora 10 Linux 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 #1 SMP
> > > Mon Mar 23 23:37:54 EDT 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > This is irrelevant here.
> >
> > > Here is the output from running the second make command where the
> > > error is raised:
> > >
> > > lfs:/mysys/sources/util-linux-ng-2.14.1$ make -C text-utils more
> > > make: Entering
> > > directory `/mysys/sources/util-linux-ng-2.14.1/text-utils'
> > > gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -include ../config.h
> > > -I../include -DLOCALEDIR=\"/tools/share/locale\" -fsigned-char
> > > -g -O2 -MT more.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/more.Tpo -c -o more.o more.c
> > > more.c:175:52: error: term.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > This is the problem.  You should have /tools/include/term.h
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't know which package installs term.h, but look at your
> > ncurses install.
> >
> >    -- Bruce
>
> >> Mark wrote
> >>Presuming you've already installed ncurses, it's possible the header
> >>file 'term.h' may have gone into /tools/include/ncurses/ instead, which
> >>I think happens by default during make install unless you tell it
> >>otherwise.
>
> >>Check if you have a /tools/include/ncurses subdir, if so try moving the
> >>header files from there into the main include directory and recompiling
> >>util-linux.
>
> >>--
> >>Mark.
>
> >>--
>

> I followed the LFS book instructions to the letter.
> Shouldn't it have installed ncurses correctly?
> I went back and extracted ncurses again and followed
> the book instructions to the letter, and that time it
> worked and util-linux compiled and installed correctly.
>
> I am in chapter 6 now and so far have got up to mpfr with
> no problems. Will continue building packages this evening.
>
> James Butler

Had a quick look, the instructions in the book seem fine (dev version
anyway). The --enable-overwrite option is what's used to make sure the
headers go in /tools/include during the ncurses build.

If you make a typo on a --enable option a lot of configure scripts will
silently ignore the unrecognized option when they would otherwise
complain. I'm not quite sure the logic behind throwing errors for a typo
like --prefx=/usr while ignoring something like --enable-overwrtie but
I've been caught out a few times.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

--
Mark.