Suggestion for Probe Program

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 10:04:31 PDT 2009

I have just built LFS 6.4 and am in the process of ironing out
some kinks. I ran a simple minded performance check, by simply
copying the LiveCD to /dev/null, and comparing that with
/dev/zero -> /dev/null.

dd if=<source> of=/dev/null bs=1024 count=636340

Source	real		user		sys
------	---------	--------	--------
52x CD	31m6.06s	0m0.176s	0m4.918s

That looks like I've got non-optimal driver there.
Anyway, I'm going to try this test again booted
with the LiveCD and see how fast it runs. Could just
be the small block size.

In an attempt to discover what is under the hood
on this machine without peeling back the hood and trying
to decipher chip markings, I might use /proc when the
system is booted with the LiveCD. ISTM that for someone
who knew what he was doing, it wouldn't be too hard to
write something that could convert that info into
recommendations for kernel config.

Just a thought.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.