Mount USB Hard Disc

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:09:57 PDT 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ok, now that my system boots and can basically run, I want to
> be able to mount USB discs, as I have one. However, it seems
> not to recognize that. I guess I need to configure at least
> one more thing into the kernel. Is there anyone here who can
> tell me what I left out?

You should have configured the kernel for USB and probably VFAT.

# USB Host Controller Drivers
#
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
#
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y

I recommend compiling in drivers and only using kernel modules when you have to.

Plugging in a memory stick will be handled by udev.  The stick will show up as
/dev/uba (I think), but you will have to mount it manually:

mount -t vfat /dev/uba /mnt

   -- Bruce