"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" polluting my login prompt.

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 11 06:21:40 PDT 2009

Charles Turner wrote:
>> 'man sysctl' should point you in the right direction, but the quick
>> answer is:
>> echo "kernel.printk=3" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> This makes the kernel output messages pertaining to errors only as I
> understand it (which does what i want, but i bet there is a better way
> to do it, I'm reading through my drivers documentation atm)

Correct.  Warnings will still show in log files, just not on console
(the first value).  It is, IMO, not necessary to show warnings which are
non-fatal to end users.  However, that specific message is incorrect in
the driver and should be changed.  Unfortunately, it's been that way for
a long time.  I'd be surprised if nobody has complained about it.  It
should be an info message at best, maybe even qualifies as a notice, but
certainly should not be a warning.

> man 2 syslog details the different log levels.
>
> I don't get warnings from my NIC driver (e1000 btw) anymore, but I
> think this means I don't get any warnings now.
>
> root:/# cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
> 4       4       1       7

Hmm, the setting did not 'stay' for whatever reason.

> I have put "kernel.printk=3" in my /etc/sysctl.conf file, but this
> "psuedo" file doesn't seem to show the change which I find odd. And if
> the printk() function takes these four arguments, what does
> kernel.printk=3 do? Set them all to 3?

Only the first value (console log level) is set if only one is provided.
  To set more (or all) values, enclose the space delimited values in
quotes.  ex: `sysctl -w kernel.printk="4 4 1 7"`

> I no longer have the problem, so thank you DJ Lucas. But after reading
> the manual pages and the linux-2.6.27.4/Documentation/sysct/kernel.txt
> file, I'm left with more questions :(
>
> Thank you for your time.

-- DJ Lucas