"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" polluting my login prompt.

Charles Turner lookatmymanbreasts at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:05:31 PDT 2009

> 'man sysctl' should point you in the right direction, but the quick
> answer is:
> echo "kernel.printk=3" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

This makes the kernel output messages pertaining to errors only as I
understand it (which does what i want, but i bet there is a better way
to do it, I'm reading through my drivers documentation atm)

man 2 syslog details the different log levels.

I don't get warnings from my NIC driver (e1000 btw) anymore, but I
think this means I don't get any warnings now.

root:/# cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
4       4       1       7

I have put "kernel.printk=3" in my /etc/sysctl.conf file, but this
"psuedo" file doesn't seem to show the change which I find odd. And if
the printk() function takes these four arguments, what does
kernel.printk=3 do? Set them all to 3?

I no longer have the problem, so thank you DJ Lucas. But after reading
the manual pages and the linux-2.6.27.4/Documentation/sysct/kernel.txt
file, I'm left with more questions :(

Thank you for your time.

--
Charlie Turner