"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" polluting my login prompt.

Charles Turner lookatmymanbreasts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 10:41:50 PDT 2009

About 2 seconds after the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network bootscript has
finished the login prompt appears and then a second later the message
"[ 9.783223] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" is
displayed over the login prompt. Pressing enter gives you the login
prompt again, but it's annoying.

The network bootscript has not been modified in any way here. So I'm
guessing this happens to everyone who is using stock LFS bootscripts.
I could see anything on the mailing lists.

Question: How can I catch this message and suppress it properly?

I put the following in the "start" section of
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network. It catches the message, but the message from
the kernel is still displayed.

var=1
while [ $var -ne 0 ]; do
  tail -1 /var/log/kern.log | grep "link becomes ready"
  var=$?
done

I also tried putting "sleep 3" in the network bootscript, the message
is suppressed, but I don't like this solution.

As you'll notice, I'm hopeless at shell scripting. Maybe there's a
conf file I can edit to catch messages like this. I don't want all my
kernel messages to go, just this one.

Or maybe someone can send me some cluecode.

Thanks for reading.

--
Charlie Turner