Kernel panic -- Not syncing | VFS: Unable to mount root fs

Wit WitlessIdiot at triad.rr.com
Wed Apr 8 13:19:58 PDT 2009

Charles Turner wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Daniel, thank you for your help. I have an ASUS P5K-VM motherboard and
> the kernel needed the jmicron sata controller built. Now LFS is
> booting fine.
>
>>> I have installed GRUB on both disks, sda and sdb.
>> Why?

The reason I always did/do it is so that when the primary boot drive
goes south, I just re-boot, enter BIOS, change the first boot device to
the one that still works and boot.

If you want it to go really well, there is the need to dupe certain
directories, configuration files, etc. With a minimal setup it's no
better than the Live-CD. All you really can/want to do is recover the
primary drive, assuming it was the less-common hardware failure rather
than the more-common "OOPS! I JUST WIPED IT!"  >8=O

With sufficient space, you can have the whole primary duplicated, with
appropriate changes again in things like /etc/fstab and some config
files, and keep on truckin'. This protects you even if the primary has a
hardware failure.

In both cases, good testing is needed *before* the need arises. And
maintaining the initial setup should include something like an rsync
invoked by cron.

> Richard, theres no good answer for that :P. At the time I may have
> thought it would be handy so I could move that drive between computers
> and it be bootable.

That might be difficult if the other is not almost identical to the
primary - HD controllers, NIC, video (if you want to use X), etc. If you
have built in the drivers for all the hardware, then it becomes feasible.

--
Wit