LFS 6.4 Book HTML

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:12:37 PDT 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:

> A point release should go through full QA, which is why it would
> be a big deal, require full directory structure creation, regression
> testing, etc. Someone would have to go through the full build
> following the book exactly.

I've been following this thread, but would prefer it to end.

The point above is on the face correct, but others have argued that full QA is
not necessary if the only changes are typos on the text or changes to URLs and
other relatively benign changes.

Ignoring those issues or now, the process of a release includes building the
book in multiple formats, placing all support files in their proper location,
ensuring the mirror master has all the correct files, updating the web site, and
making a release announcement.  It is something that takes at least several hours.

On the other hand, updating the html version of the -dev book nightly via a
script is quite easy.  That is being done now.

As the release manager, I don't want to do minor point releases.  If there was
another senior editor (a very short list) that did want to do it, I'd be glad to
let him do it.

Additional discussion will not be productive.

   -- Bruce