LFS 6.4 Book HTML

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:02:21 PDT 2009

genericmaillists at gmail.com wrote:

> You don't need to change the book number just make the changes in
> the book. On the page where the people will download the book just
> warn them to check there for the newest version. This is what other
> major open source developers do. Why do you want to make it
> complicated. You are not empressing any one by doing it the old
> hard way.
>
> To deliberately limit yourself in that manner with a live flowing
> electronic document is just foolish. Why limit your flow of
> communication by following the traditions of an old technology that
> does not have a better choice?

This discussion really should be in -dev and not -support.  However, I'll answer
it here.

The idea of a 'stable' book is to provide, umm, stability.  We already tell you
and other readers how to handle url problems.  If you want newer packages, use
the -dev book.  In this way we give the best of both worlds -- a stable, tested
environment and a cutting edge book with the latest packages.

   -- Bruce