LFS 6.4 Book HTML

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 07:44:54 PDT 2009

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 14:32 -0700, Jason Erickson wrote:
>> For the book, it could be 6.4.X where X is the latest version of the
>> 6.4 book.  Only changes made would be spelling, grammar, and FTP
>> locations.
>
> Makes sense to me... any time you have something that would require an
> errata page, just change the text instead, and bump the patch level to
> 6.4.x+1...

Creating even a minor release is quite a bit more work than that.  New
directories have to be made and populated, tarballs created, websites updated,
etc.  I'd estimate it to be about a full day's work.   I try to automate as much
as I can, but there's still a lot of manual work to do.

If you want the latest packages, then use -dev.

It's always helpful to actually read the book:

vii. Errata

To check whether the package versions or instructions in this release of LFS
need any modifications to accommodate security vulnerabilities or other bug
fixes, please visit http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/errata/6.4/  before
proceeding with your build.

3.1. Introduction

Download locations may not always be accessible. If a download location has
changed since this book was published, Google (http://www.google.com/) provides
a useful search engine for most packages. If this search is unsuccessful, try
one of the alternative means of downloading discussed at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/packages.html#packages.

   -- Bruce