LFS 6.4 Book HTML

Tomas Klacko tomas.klacko at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 11:28:53 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:02 AM,  <genericmaillists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2009 23:13:19 Chris Staub wrote:
>> Jason Erickson wrote:
>> > I've been using this for the past week learning about linux and
>> > the installs and it has been a great tool.  I want to first
>> > thank you for offering this book and helping others learn how
>> > to build linux from scratch to make our own custom installs.
>> >
>> > I did notice a few things going through it that I thought might
>> > be useful to update.
>> > For Glibc (2.8-20080929) - I couldnt find this so I went to
>> > Glibc website and got 2.8  I have had no install problems with
>> > any of the programs by using this code.  The original download
>> > location of
>> >
>> > :ftp:// sources. redhat. com/ pub/ glibc/ snapshots/ glibc- 2.
>> > : 8-
>> >
>> > 20080929. tar. bz2 doesnt seem to exist anymore.  I got Glibc
>> > from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.8.tar.gz
>> >
>> > For section 5.21 Gawk-3.1.6 There seems to be a formatting
>> > issue....here is what the book says:
>>
>> Looks like you missed a page. Both of these are known issues that
>> have been documented in the Errata -
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/errata/6.4/
>
> Why should electronic documents (soft copies, live copies, these can
> always be updated because they are not actually printed and bound)
> on the Internet be treated in the same limiting manner as a printed
> document (hard copies once printed bound and distributed cannot
> actually be changed)? Why not just put the correction in the actual
> document rather than referencing it some where else? Other
> documentation for software on the Internet will tell the reader to
> use a link to the copy found on their site because it is always
> current.

When you release an electronic document (be it a book
or a source code), then you would probably give it a number
or some identification, to identify that particular release.

Then, when you later discover issues in your release,
would you rather patch them in place, or setup an errata page
and fix the stuff in the next release?

Tomas Klacko