LFS 6.4 Book HTML

genericmaillists at gmail.com genericmaillists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:02:47 PDT 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009 23:13:19 Chris Staub wrote:
> Jason Erickson wrote:
> > I've been using this for the past week learning about linux and
> > the installs and it has been a great tool.  I want to first
> > thank you for offering this book and helping others learn how
> > to build linux from scratch to make our own custom installs.
> >
> > I did notice a few things going through it that I thought might
> > be useful to update.
> > For Glibc (2.8-20080929) - I couldnt find this so I went to
> > Glibc website and got 2.8  I have had no install problems with
> > any of the programs by using this code.  The original download
> > location of
> >
> > :ftp:// sources. redhat. com/ pub/ glibc/ snapshots/ glibc- 2.
> > : 8-
> >
> > 20080929. tar. bz2 doesnt seem to exist anymore.  I got Glibc
> > from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.8.tar.gz
> >
> > For section 5.21 Gawk-3.1.6 There seems to be a formatting
> > issue....here is what the book says:
>
> Looks like you missed a page. Both of these are known issues that
> have been documented in the Errata -
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/errata/6.4/

Why should electronic documents (soft copies, live copies, these can
always be updated because they are not actually printed and bound)
on the Internet be treated in the same limiting manner as a printed
document (hard copies once printed bound and distributed cannot
actually be changed)? Why not just put the correction in the actual
document rather than referencing it some where else? Other
documentation for software on the Internet will tell the reader to
use a link to the copy found on their site because it is always
current.

--
http://www.wowgreen.net/11324