binutils pass 1, CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"

Jack Stone jwjstone at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 3 11:51:43 PDT 2009

Tomas Klacko wrote:
>> You need to compile everything with
>> lib-path as /usr/lib etc so that we can compile gcc-pass1
>> against these binutils, (if I understand correctly this part
>> does not need -B).
>>

> Do you have any pointers on where to find out more about the lib-path?
> My current knowledge is that it only sets up the linker (ld) search path.

Thats my understanding as well. My only guess would be binutils/gcc docs.

> The gcc pass 1 is also configured with CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/",
> and this gave me the impression that the gcc pass 1 was
> actually not being built againts the binutils pass 1.
> Does this have to do something with the fact that
> the gcc is compiled (according to the LFS book) three-times?

The -B /usr/bin tells the HOST compiler to use the HOST binutils.
I think the --prefix and --with-local-prefix tell the compiler where to
find binutils as well as where to install but I'd need to check the gcc
docs.
>> We then recompile just ld with lib-path as
>> /tools/lib and install this as ld-new. This does need -B so that
>> the hosts gcc uses the correct set of binutils.
>>

> (Curious) can this be postponed until the adjusting phase?
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/adjusting.html)

I guess so but you would need to configure, make and make install / copy
the file.
I don't know whether make install would work as binutils consists of
more than
just ld.

Thanks,

Jack