binutils pass 1, CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"

Jack Stone jwjstone at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 2 03:21:02 PDT 2009

Tomas Klacko wrote:
> Ok, I get it now. The ld is compiled again, the second time
> with the LIB_PATH set to /tools/lib.
>
> But still, maybe I can afford not to set the CC to "gcc -B/usr/bin/",
> and just use the --with-lib-path configure option instead?:
>
> ../binutils-2.18/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls \
> --disable-werror  --with-lib-path=/tools/lib
> make
> make install

This wouldn't work. You need to compile everything with
lib-path as /usr/lib etc so that we can compile gcc-pass1
against these binutils, (if I understand correctly this part
does not need -B). We then recompile just ld with lib-path as
/tools/lib and install this as ld-new. This does need -B so that
the hosts gcc uses the correct set of binutils.

I guess that the set of commands you posted would work for the
second compile with two changes: add the CC to use the hosts binutils
and use a cp instead of the make install as we only want to install
ld. You would also probably need a clean source/build tree just in case.
However, this would obviously recompile more that we need.

The above explanation is a bit dense. Feel free to ask for clarification.

Hope this helps,

Jack