binutils pass 1, CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"

Tomas Klacko tomas.klacko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 03:08:12 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Tomas Klacko <tomas.klacko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the need for setting the CC variable
> when compiling binutils, LFS 6.4:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/binutils-pass1.html
>
> From the book (link):
> [
> CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"
>
> This forces gcc to prefer the linker from the host in /usr/bin. This
> is necessary on some hosts where the new ld built here is not
> compatible with the host's gcc.
> ]
>
> I get what the -B does. But I do not see the need for it at this point since
> the new ld has not yet been build (the $LFS/tools/bin directory is empty),
> it is just going to be built in this step.

Ok, I get it now. The ld is compiled again, the second time
with the LIB_PATH set to /tools/lib.

But still, maybe I can afford not to set the CC to "gcc -B/usr/bin/",
and just use the --with-lib-path configure option instead?:

../binutils-2.18/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls \
--disable-werror  --with-lib-path=/tools/lib
make
make install

Tomas Klacko