binutils pass 1, CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"

Tomas Klacko tomas.klacko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 01:54:07 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to understand the need for setting the CC variable
when compiling binutils, LFS 6.4:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/binutils-pass1.html

>From the book (link):
[
CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/"

This forces gcc to prefer the linker from the host in /usr/bin. This
is necessary on some hosts where the new ld built here is not
compatible with the host's gcc.
]

I get what the -B does. But I do not see the need for it at this point since
the new ld has not yet been build (the $LFS/tools/bin directory is empty),
it is just going to be built in this step.

I can understand the need for the -B option when for example compliling
gcc pass 1, but I don't see the need for it when compiling binutils pass 1.
Could anyone explain/give example?

Thanks
Tomas Klacko