GCC-4.3.2 Pass1 - requires GMP 4.1+ and MPFR 2.3.0+

Thomas Anderson mendicant2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:57:24 PDT 2009

Hi,
I was working on the compilation of GCC (first pass) when after the
following command:

CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" ../gcc-4.3.2/configure --prefix=/tools
--with-local-prefix=/tools --disable-nls --disable-shared
--disable-libssp --enable-languages=c

I received the following error message:

configure: error: Building GCC requires GMP 4.1+ and MPFR 2.3.0+.
Try the --with-gmp and/or --with-mpfr options to specify their locations.

The book did not explicitly say to compile the mpfr and gmp packages
(they are unpacked - as user lfs - into their specified directories)
but it seems to me that this should be done (or does gcc do this
during the first pass after I specify their locations as described in
the error message?). My concern is whether I should use any of the
compiling options specified with the binutils and gcc compilations. I
would like to make sure I get this right since it is an important step
(and 22 SBUs on an older box).

Thanks in advance for any help (specific background info immediately below),
R.

Background Info:
Book LFS 6.4 p. 39
LFS Version 6.4 (no deviations from the book to this point)
Host version: Ubuntu-8.04.2-server (uname -a --> 2.6.24-23-server)