useradd now creates groups too

Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. douglas at trenix.com.br
Tue Sep 30 07:04:06 PDT 2008

Em Monday 29 September 2008 09:47:35 Jeremy Henty escreveu:
> Replying to myself,
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:07:28AM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> > I've noticed a change in the behaviour of useradd when upgrading LFS
> > from 6.1.1 to  6.3: "useradd foo" now creates  a default group "foo"
> > and makes  it the  primary group  of user "foo".   It this  meant to
> > happen or have I messed something up?
>
> I've just noticed that shadow-4.0.18.1-useradd_fix-2.patch seems to be
> responsible for this.   Is that right?  If so then it  does a lot more
> than it says on the tin!
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

I try to find by man, but it's poorly documented, I did  think for a while
that /etc/defaults/useradd could change this behaviour, but no. My file have
GROUP=100 and 100 is the GID of group users and it always create a new group
if the -u is nor expecified.

I try a strings on /usr/sbin/useradd searching a possible parameter
on /etc/login.defs, but no clear hint how to change it by this way. Going to
source code...

--
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.
Sócio-Diretor