useradd now creates groups too

Steve Crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:16:54 PDT 2008

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:07:28AM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
>>
>> I've noticed a change in the behaviour of useradd when upgrading LFS
>> from 6.1.1 to  6.3: "useradd foo" now creates  a default group "foo"
>> and makes  it the  primary group  of user "foo".   It this  meant to
>> happen or have I messed something up?

<snip>

It's a policy change introduced into the shadow package by the
maintainers, to follow the "redhat" standard of defaulting to creating
a group with the same name as the user. You can change this behaviour
by modifying login.defs, but I don't have an installation handy to
identify the option needed to change.

--
-- -
Steve Crosby