Re-establishing boot process from MBR

Wolfgang Messingschlager w.mess at freenet.de
Sun Sep 21 05:51:33 PDT 2008

randhir phagura wrote:
> Wolfgang wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008
>
>> Hi Randhir
>
>> very interesting info. But if you install often or sometimes Windows I
>> prefer to create the partitions on Linux and then save the MBR in a file
>> with the dd command e.g.
>
>> TS=`date +%Y%m%d`
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/mbr_$TS bs=512 count=1
>
>> This can be done on a regular basis e.g. as a cron job.
>
>> Then you can easily restore your MBR with dd as well e.g.
>
>> dd if=/boot/mbr_... of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
>

>> Wolfgang
>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> That is a smart one. It can, probably, be done from within a linux system after it boots. But once the MBR is gone, booting into linux is not possible.
>
> Regards,
>
> Randhir Phagura

[...]

Hi Randhir,

that is correct that you cannot boot if the MBR is gone or corrupt. But
in this case you need only a bootable medium e.g. LFS live CD/DVD and
then you can repair the MBR with dd command.

Another alternative is if you have a discete drive to write the MBR to a
discete with dd.

Wolfgang