How To Configure Linux Console For UK Keyboard

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 18 11:15:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 01:31:44AM +0100, Stan Thorovsky wrote:

> First hurdle (never had to bother about it on servers) - how to
> properly set Linux Console in /etc/sysconfig/console for UK keyboard
> (LFS 6.3, paragraph 7.6). Googling didn't produce that much but Gentoo
> wiki suggests this configuration:
>
> KEYMAP="uk"
>
> FONT=?
>
> Is keymap correct and what about font?
>
> Thanks in advance - your help will be very much appreciates.
> Stan

 I think "Is keymap correct?" is a question for someone with the
exact (unspecified) hardware.  Assuming you have a regular desktop
UK keyboard available to you, you can note what the normal mappings
are, then compare that to your laptop to see what, if anything, is
different or missing in the symbols on the keys.

 The other thing to do is to run 'showkey' to see what codes your
keyboard produces.  On a modern desktop keyboard, the common
variations in keys are between the space bar and the control keys
(Alt,AltGr,Windows,Menu).  Also, on UK keyboards the \| key next to
the space bar doesn't always work on usb.  Laptops may drop keys, or
may have idiosyncratic keycodes.  If you are working in the linux
console, you will need \|~#`'"<> (some of these have been "fun" to
set up on apple ppc laptop keyboards).

 You can compare your keys to the maps in
/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/

 If you do need to change, it's probably only a few keys which need
to be corrected.  I was going to point you to my uk-utf.map in ~/ken
but apache can't access it so I'll attach it to this mail.  If you
are using UTF-8, it might work for you (but not all fonts have all
the symbols).  If you are using legacy latin1 encoding, you can't use
the U+ forms.  The names are in the kbd package, in src/ksyms.c.

 Also see keymaps (5)

ĸen