How To Configure Linux Console For UK Keyboard

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 21:01:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, at 01:31 Stan Thorovsky wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'd posted this issue on LinuxQuestions.org but figured I'd get my
> answer quicker here:
>
> Having set up LFS for servers a few times before, I am now trying to
> build a viable, fully functional desktop OS with it on my new laptop.
>
> First hurdle (never had to bother about it on servers) - how to
> properly set Linux Console in /etc/sysconfig/console for UK keyboard
> (LFS 6.3, paragraph 7.6). Googling didn't produce that much but Gentoo
> wiki suggests this configuration:
>
> KEYMAP="uk"
>
> FONT=?

Look in "/lib/kbd/consolefonts/" for a suitable font.

Alternatively, Ken Moffat created unicode fonts with wide coverage, if
you are interested see:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/sigma-consolefonts/

> Is keymap correct and what about font?

Looks correct, for reference see (probably) in "/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/"

> Stan

Regards,
Ag.