How To Configure Linux Console For UK Keyboard

Stan Thorovsky thorovsky at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:31:44 PDT 2008

Hello guys,

I'd posted this issue on LinuxQuestions.org but figured I'd get my
answer quicker here:

Having set up LFS for servers a few times before, I am now trying to
build a viable, fully functional desktop OS with it on my new laptop.

First hurdle (never had to bother about it on servers) - how to
properly set Linux Console in /etc/sysconfig/console for UK keyboard
(LFS 6.3, paragraph 7.6). Googling didn't produce that much but Gentoo
wiki suggests this configuration:

KEYMAP="uk"

FONT=?

Is keymap correct and what about font?

Thanks in advance - your help will be very much appreciates.
Stan