Boot Scripts: Multiple IP Addresses

Mark A. Olbert Mark at arcabama.com
Thu Sep 4 17:28:50 PDT 2008

I need to configure my LFS box to multihome the external Ethernet connection (which is eth1 on my machine). I can do this manually by issuing:

ifconfig eth1:1 <second ip address>

But I'd appreciate some advice/suggestions on how to do this via the boot scripts. The obvious thing I tried -- creating a directory called /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth1:1 and populating an ipv4 file in it appropriately -- didn't work. Or rather, it added the second IP address to the eth1 interface, but it didn't show up in the ifconfig report and weird things started happening to my LAN connectivity.

- Mark

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3416 (20080904) __________

http://www.eset.com