kernel configuration and installation

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 30 12:14:11 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 01:11:35PM +0000, Richard Melville wrote:

> >  Yes, I think you've missed the important thing ;)  The kernel
> > headers are what glibc was compiled against, and they should not be
> > changed unless you upgrade glibc [ and before anyone misconstrues
> > that, we *don't* support upgrading glibc - when the time comes,
> > build a new system ].
> >

> Hi Ken
>
> My reading of Rob's post was that he was wondering why distros like
> Ubuntu could frequently update kernel headers when we are told not to.
> If this was not his question then I wouldn't mind some advise on this issue.

 I don't follow ubuntu, so I can't be certain why they update
headers.  Maybe it's when they update glibc.

> The problem occurs when some packages insist on parsing
> /usr/include/linux.  I had a problem recently when installing VLC.  I
> had enabled DCCP in my new kernel and I wanted to build VLC with the
> required support. I had already tested DCCP and it was working OK, but
> the VLC build failed complaining about missing headers.  When I checked
> the source code it was looking in /usr/include/linux, which surely must
> be bad practice.  I can't see why arbitrary packages should be poking
> around in the kernel headers.  Clearly, as my glibc was built against
> much older kernel headers its search was unsuccessful.
>
> I was wondering what the solution is here?  Should we install the new
> kernel headers into a separate sub-directory and change the source code
> to point to the new sub-directory rather than to /usr/include/linux, or
> would this just not work?
>
> I'd appreciate your, or anybody else's, view on the subject.

 I've never looked at VLC.  Looking at /usr/include/linux seems
a reasonable thing for a configure script to be doing.  Which kernel
headers did you use when building glibc, and what is now reported to
be missing-and-required ?

ĸen