gcc failure

Rob Thornton rob_t at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 30 08:04:39 PDT 2008

Rodolfo

No, the error I reported should only effect the test suite, and is a
regression in 4.3.2.

It is also recommended that you do not set any environmental variables
for optimizing the toolchain if you don't know exactly what you're doing
as the minimal speed gains are outweighed by the potential for problem
when you don't follow the book exactly to the letter. Literally! (I
speak from experience)

The following assumes you are using the Development LFS book from SVN
and not the LFS 6.3 book, even though much of this would still apply.

When you were installing glibc, did you echo the CFLAGS environment
variable to configparms or did you export it to the shell environment?
If you exported it, you may have a problem as you should have "unset any
environmental variables that override the defaults optimization flags"
(lfs book) before compiling gcc.

I would at least try 'gcc --version' to see if its the host's compiler
or the newly built toolchain that is causing the issue.

Outside of that, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone with more experience may
have the answer? I have heard that building a 32bit LFS can have
problems on a 64bit system/CPU and they recommend not using the 32bit
live CD to do so. Don't quote me on that though. =)

Rob