kernel configuration and installation

Richard Melville richard.melville at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 30 06:11:35 PDT 2008

>  Yes, I think you've missed the important thing ;)  The kernel
> headers are what glibc was compiled against, and they should not be
> changed unless you upgrade glibc [ and before anyone misconstrues
> that, we *don't* support upgrading glibc - when the time comes,
> build a new system ].

Hi Ken

My reading of Rob's post was that he was wondering why distros like
Ubuntu could frequently update kernel headers when we are told not to.
If this was not his question then I wouldn't mind some advise on this issue.

The problem occurs when some packages insist on parsing
/usr/include/linux.  I had a problem recently when installing VLC.  I
had enabled DCCP in my new kernel and I wanted to build VLC with the
required support. I had already tested DCCP and it was working OK, but
the VLC build failed complaining about missing headers.  When I checked
the source code it was looking in /usr/include/linux, which surely must
be bad practice.  I can't see why arbitrary packages should be poking
around in the kernel headers.  Clearly, as my glibc was built against
much older kernel headers its search was unsuccessful.

I was wondering what the solution is here?  Should we install the new
kernel headers into a separate sub-directory and change the source code
to point to the new sub-directory rather than to /usr/include/linux, or
would this just not work?

I'd appreciate your, or anybody else's, view on the subject.

Richard