lfs 6.3-Problem installing Ncurses-5.6

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 28 14:57:17 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:04:32PM +0100, giuseppe marchi wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm following lfs-book 6.3. I'm blocked on chapter 6 at paragraph 6.20 on installing Ncurses-5.6.
> I'm not able to install after compilation. The host pc is running with fedora 9.
> This is the log that see when type make install:

> DESTDIR= \
> prefix=/usr \
> exec_prefix=/usr \
> bindir=/usr/bin \
> top_srcdir=.. \
> srcdir=. \
> datadir=/usr/share \
> ticdir=/usr/share/terminfo \
> source=terminfo.tmp \
> THIS_CC="gcc" \
> THAT_CC="gcc" \
> /bin/sh ./run_tic.sh
> ** Building terminfo database, please wait...
> Running tic to install /usr/share/terminfo ...
>
> You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
> These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
> using
> tic -x
> If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
> document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.
>
> tic: symbol lookup error: tic: undefined symbol: _nc_check_termtype2
> ? tic could not build /usr/share/terminfo
> make[1]: *** [install.data] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/xxx/xxx/ncurses-5.6/misc'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

 I've not seen this before.  Google knows about this error for
ncurses-5.5, but that was in chapter 5 and marked as a host-system
problem.  Another distro, possibly momonga (I find it hard to work
out from the posting) had this with 5.5, perhaps caused by a problem
in their package management ("sourcery", apparently).

 Bash seems to have been implicated in one of these.  Did you apply
the bash patch in chapter 5 ?

 Failing that, are you perhaps using a 64-bit kernel to try to build
32-bit LFS ? ( I don't think that combination will get this far, but
something about what you are doing is "unusual" to trigger this
problem).

ĸen