glibc install problem

Amitav Mohanty amitavmohanty01 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:10:51 PDT 2008

Hello

I am trying to install LFS 6.2 on a core 2 duo 2 gigahertz system with a
pata hard disk. In chapter 6 after installing the linux libc headers and
man pages when I try to install glibc I got this error saying "cannot
compute sizeof long double" when I run the configure script. I checked
the archives for support. I saw someone pointing out about the toolchain
having static links to the host system. However, before chrooting I had
checked that the tools were based on the packages installed in the new
filesystem.

I am pasting below snippets of the config.log to help you trace the problem.

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
hostinfo               = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
/bin/universe          = unknown
PATH: /bin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /usr/sbin
PATH: /tools/bin
configure:2956: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:2: error: syntax error before 'me'
configure:2962: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #ifndef __cplusplus
|   choke me
| #endif
configure:3143: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:3178: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:3184: $? = 0
configure:3216: gcc -E  conftest.c
conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:3222: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GNU C Library"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "c-library"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "(see version.h)"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU C Library (see version.h)"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "glibc"
| #define USE_REGPARMS 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
configure:7172: checking size of long double
configure:7491: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5
/tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find /lib/libc.so.6
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7494: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

Thank you.