Problem with glibc test

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:44:14 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Bill Mason <billmason_sp2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I validated this by making a little program that does nothing but prints this using printf:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>    printf ("%-1.300000000s", "hello");
> }
>
> Same thing, no output.  But if I decrease the number of zeros in the precision string by one (7 zeros rather than 8), it works fine.  Any number of zeros greater than 7 causes the problem.  I tried the same experiments on my host system, and the same is true there as well.

It works on both of my systems. One is x86 with glibc-2.5.1. I have no
idea what could be causing that problem. The kernel seems to be the
common denominator since you get the same problem on the host. I don't
recall this coming up here before. That is a bizarre issue. Does `gcc
-Wall' say anything about it?

--
Dan