book 6.3 ch 5.3.1 questions

Stealth genericmaillists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:35:53 PST 2008

On a previous page (book 6.3 ch 5.1) This was mentioned:

Important

Before issuing the build instructions for a package, the package
should be unpacked as user lfs, and a cd into the created directory
should be performed. The build instructions assume that the bash
shell is in use.

This is found on page 5.3.1 in book 6.3

The Binutils documentation recommends building Binutils outside of
the source directory in a dedicated build directory:

mkdir -v ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils-build

This is leading up to my question.

The source directory mentioned above I assume is the binutils-2.17
(which was created when I ran tar -xf on the bin*.bz2 file) and the
path is $LFS/sources/binutils-2.17 (this sources directory was
created back in ch 3). If I follow the 1st cmd listed above that
would put the binutils-build directory in this path
$LFS/sources/binutils-build along side the
$LFS/sources/binutils-2.17. The 2nd cmd would put me in the
binutils-build directory. I assume this is where I am supposed to
be to do the build for binutils?

Also is there anything during the build process for binutils that is
not mentioned in the book that I am supposed already know about and
do?

--
Stealth