LFS 6.3 chpt 5.7 step cmd problem

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 30 16:57:28 PST 2008

Stealth wrote:

> I am following the book as it is written. The only exception was I
> used kernel 2.6.27.7 .

This is not good, though not likely the cause of the problem you are
seeing.  You should be using 2.6.22.19. The latest 2.6.22.x should be
safe as far as kernel headers and udev are concerned.  I forget what the
kernel requirement for the next problematic udev was (dont' even
remember what udev version it was), but it would *probably* be safe up
until that version.  Fuzzy 2.6.25.4 comes to mind for some reason, but
if you don't need features from that version to be known in glibc (you
likely do not), then use the 2.6.22.19 version to build the system.  You
can upgrade the kernel after the fact.

> I am either reading the book incorrectly or I am finding flaws in
> the flow of the material in the book. I am not saying the people
> writting the book don't know what they are doing. I am saying the
> people writting the book probably know this stuff so well they
> accidentally leave stuff out or get things out of sync just enough
> to cause problems for people like me who are depending on the book
> to guide me.

No.  I never meant to imply that there was _missing _information, 'out
of sync' information, or missing instructions.  All the needed
information _is_ there, like the example you showed the other day, some
of it could probably be presented better to assist people who are
unfamiliar with the build process.  If there were any missing
information, devs would be having a heck of a time, as even automated,
we build by extracting the book's commands verbatim.

-- DJ Lucas