LFS 6.3 chpt 5.7 step cmd problem

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 30 13:21:44 PST 2008

Stealth wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2008 03:33:05 pm Wolfgang Messingschlager
> wrote:
>> Stealth wrote:

First off, do you understand what the PATH variable is doing? If not, I
suggest you google for the PATH environment variable and take a quick read.

Secondly, do you understand what the first pass of binutils and gcc was
for and where they should have been installed? Quick hint, you should
have /tools/bin/gcc and when you run just 'gcc' your shell should be
using /tools/bin/gcc, not /usr/bin/gcc.

> PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
>
>> which gcc
>
> 4.1.2

I think you misunderstood his suggestion. Type 'which gcc' to find out
the full path of gcc, the one that your shell is using by default. If
'which gcc' spits out /usr/bin/gcc, then given that your PATH variable
is as you say above, quite likely you don't have /tools/bin/gcc. A
common mistake is to forget to type 'make install' for the first pass of
gcc.

> to complete the path above it is:
>
> /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc/specs

This is not at all correct. Unless that you mean you dumped the specs
file to this location just so you could look at it. Having a specs file
in this location does absolutely nothing.

--
JH