LFS 6.3 chpt 5.7 step cmd problem

Stealth genericmaillists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 12:56:56 PST 2008

On Sunday 30 November 2008 03:33:05 pm Wolfgang Messingschlager
wrote:
> Stealth wrote:

> >> Did you check your $PATH variable?
> >> I believe the directory that is returned by "gcc
> >> --print-libgcc-file-name" Should start with /mnt/lfs/...
> >> It looks like you are using your hosts gcc in this case.
> >> Your $PATH variable sould start with PATH=/tools/bin;
> >
> > $PATH is:
> >
> > PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
>
> have you issued "export PATH"?

yes

> > As it is written in the book 6.3
> >
> > this is where my specs file is located:
> >
> > /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc
>
> What is the output of
>
> echo $PATH

PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

> which gcc

4.1.2

to complete the path above it is:

/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc/specs

I am running from the lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r2160 on a box with a blank
40 GB hard drive. That box as actually a VM running inside
VirtualBox which is running on a physical install of PCLinuxOS
2007. The CD is working nicely in this setup.

I am building using only the CD as my host. The build process does
not know of any other host or resources.

I copied all the source files from the CD into /mnt/lfs/sources

I am following the book as it is written. The only exception was I
used kernel 2.6.27.7 .

I am either reading the book incorrectly or I am finding flaws in
the flow of the material in the book. I am not saying the people
writting the book don't know what they are doing. I am saying the
people writting the book probably know this stuff so well they
accidentally leave stuff out or get things out of sync just enough
to cause problems for people like me who are depending on the book
to guide me. I am not complaining, I am thrilled to be doing this
whole thing and will contribute to making the book a little
cleaner/easier to understand from a prospective of someone not so
familiar with the process, once I have completed a successful
build.

--
Stealth