LFS 6.3 chpt 5.7 step cmd problem

Herman Gerritsen lfsmailing at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 11:17:30 PST 2008

> gcc -dumpspecs | sed 's@^/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g' \
>  > `dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/specs
>
> and I get:
>
> sed: can't read /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/specs: No such
> file or directory
Did you check your $PATH variable?
I believe the directory that is returned by "gcc --print-libgcc-file-name"
Should start with /mnt/lfs/...
It looks like you are using your hosts gcc in this case.
Your $PATH variable sould start with PATH=/tools/bin;

> Obviously the i486 part is wrong because it should be i686.
Doesn't need to be wrong, maybe your host system is compiled for 486.
(Don't know if i am absolutely correct here though...)

> Also why
> is it looking in /usr/lib when the search and replace string tells
> it to look in /lib at the starting point of the search string?
That is the pattern that sed is looking for within the file
It has nothing to do with where the files are on your files system

> I have followed everything by the book except, I decided to use
> kernel 2.6.27.7 (this was the newest when I downloaded it) instead
> of 2.6.22.5 .
>
> Did I cause my problem by using the newer kernel?
Don't think it has anything to do with this newer kernel.
btw the lfs-6.4 book is the most recent now.
it uses the 2.6.27.4 kernel. You are pointing to the lfs-6.3 book

Greetings,
Herman Gerritsen