LiveCD LFS book 6.3 chapter 5 questions

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 27 19:52:44 PST 2008

Stealth wrote:
> The instructions don't say where to extract the binutils file. But
> in 5.3.1 it says to create:
>
> mkdir -v ../binutils-build
> cd ../binutils-build
>
> Where exactly was I supposed to be when I was supposed to do this
> step?

Once you copy the packages to $LFS/sources, as the lfs user you should
probably cd to that directory and 'live' there for the remainder of
chapter 5.

Every time you begin a section that involves building a package
(binutils is the first instance of this in section 5.3.1), you should
unpack that package in the sources directory, then cd into the unpacked
source _before_ you run any commands in that package's section. So for
section 5.3.1 the following order happens (steps 1-3 are implied, but
not listed in the book explicitly)

1. cd $LFS/sources
2. tar -xf binutils-2.18.tar.bz2
3. cd binutils-2.18