LiveCD LFS book 6.3 chapter 5 questions

Stealth genericmaillists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 16:38:20 PST 2008

I am running from the lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r2160 on a box with a blank
40 GB hard drive. That box as actually a VM running inside
VirtualBox which is running on a physical install of PCLinuxOS
2007. The CD is working nicely in this setup. I have successfully
completed everything up to chapter 5 (I think).

I am currently at chapter 5 on the box as lfs in the shell. With the
new environment created at chapter 4.4 .

Chapter 5 is confusing me.

I have not been able to find anything that answers my questions.

I have read the FAQs. I have been using the google search tool on
the LFS site.

I have read the book from start to chapter 5.3.1 about 6 or 7 times
trying to figure out what I missed. I don't see anything unless 5.1
and 5.2 actually have steps that I am supposed to do.

Does chapter 5.1 and 5.2 actually give instruction that is supposed
to be done at that time? This is not clear to me.

When I do this in chapter 5.3.1

mkdir -v ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils-build

I get this error:

mkdir: cannot create directory '../binutils-build': Permission
denied

I ran PWD to determine where I was:

/home/lfs

It was at this point that I started reading the book over again.

I have found a lot of documentation on the LFS site that tells one
how to get back where they were in the build process after
terminating the build process because they shutdown.

What I haven't found is information that tells one how to get back
to root after one has (su -)ed to lfs user and is still in the
build process and not trying to come back in.

--
Stealth