Question @ 10,000 feet

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 02:52:05 PST 2008

DJ Lucas wrote:
<snip />
> /usr/share/info/dir is most common, until you get past X, and get into
> gconf, desktop file utils, etc.  But yes, make install *can* and does
> modify existing files.  Simply copying from the DESTDIR to the final
> destination will result in a broken system (though it's probably not
> that difficult to recover if you keep good backups or logs).

Oh I see. I never intended my post to suggest subsequent copying of
files that way. Sorry if I badly worded the OP.

The way I have used it [DESTDIR] is purely to allow easy inspection of
the files the install process creates. If I am happy with what it does,
then I simply go back to the package's build directory and run "make
install" without the DESTDIR variable...

Al