Question @ 10,000 feet

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 19 02:08:39 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 09:24 +0000, Alan Lord wrote:
> That's interesting. Do you mean that DESTDIR actually affects the
> contents of some files when you run "make DESTDIR=/my_path install"?
>
> I always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it merely changed the
> destination path for the "root" of the install process, but kept in tact
> the paths of --prefix and other switches that were applied during the
> configure.

Yes, it does merely change the destination path. But doing so might be
the difference between creating a new file, and adding to an existing
one. No specific example comes to mind, but suppose two packages append
entries to a file /etc/whatever. Installed normally, you'll have one
file with two entries. Installed with separate DESTDIRs, you'll have two
different files at DESTDIR1/etc/whatever and DESTDIR2/etc/whatever.

Simon.