Question @ 10,000 feet

Alexander Haley ahaley at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Nov 18 09:46:20 PST 2008

Thanks for the responses - I'm still chewing on them to see what I
understand or misunderstand. The bigger context of my questions was:

  "So, I'm doing LFS for the second time .. and this time I thought
'GNU Stow, awesome! I'll make it sit up and do tricks for me' ...
however during Chapter 6 .. when gcc behaved differently depending on
whether its installation tooldir was /usr or /usr/stow ... well then I
started making concessions and fudging things ... and I felt as though
my understanding of things went south. Thats when I started
questioning what my actual toolchain understanding was in the first
place .. and realized I didn't know much about how these pieces fit
together in a practical sense"

What is to stop me from telling glibc to install itself into
/usr/weird/path/foo and gcc into /bar/zap/ .. and then somehow
configuring them to understand their relationship? Is that even
feasible? Would doing this somehow create a deeper understanding (for
me) of how gcc and glibc fit together?

Time will tell.

Basically, the fundamental thing that bugs me is ... I type 'make
install' and scads of files arrive on the file system ... and I really
don't quite know their role, purpose or importance ... Do I really
need to know the purpose of each and every library file that is
installed? Probably not .. but, I am irked that I'm typing 'make
install' and just crossing my fingers that the system is getting it
right .... (of course the system often gets it right .. but does it
teach me? no. or at least, not yet.)