Chapter 6 building against /tools still?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 13 12:37:54 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:10:37PM +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
> Hey, guys. Just finished a build of recent SVN (a week or two old),
> getting some problems on some of the BLFS packages. Tools like Bison
> aren't working properly, that sort of thing, and then I got one error
> message (can't remember what package it was on) complaining
> about /tools.
>
> And yes, it looks to me like most of chapter 6 (including binutils and
> gcc) has been linked against libraries in /tools. Scripts like libtool
> have ended up with paths to /tools/bin/grep, and binaries
> like /usr/bin/gcc and the like contain references to /tools/include,
> which appear to be debug symbols.
>
> Rebuilding the offending packages appears to fix them, but I'd quite
> like to know how this happened, since this is almost certainly a bug in
> my build scripts. Can anyone suggest what would cause this? It's as
> though programs and libraries in /tools were still taking precedence
> over those built later.
>
> Simon.

 We've had a certain amount of movement in the build order to catch
things which were hard-coding /tools/bin into scripts.  A quick test
of my own first build of 6.4-rc1 looks clean for that.

 In bison, did you use the YYENABLE_NLS define for the first build ?
If you did, any recollection of *how* it failed ?

 For /tools/include: ouch!  Yes, agreed, and they are indeed
debug symbols, which get removed if you run strip --strip-unneeded.

 Cc'ing to -dev for possible discussion, I've no idea if we can get
rid of these references without stripping them and without
rebuilding them.

ĸen