Chapter 6 building against /tools still?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 13 00:10:37 PST 2008

Hey, guys. Just finished a build of recent SVN (a week or two old),
getting some problems on some of the BLFS packages. Tools like Bison
aren't working properly, that sort of thing, and then I got one error
message (can't remember what package it was on) complaining
about /tools.

And yes, it looks to me like most of chapter 6 (including binutils and
gcc) has been linked against libraries in /tools. Scripts like libtool
have ended up with paths to /tools/bin/grep, and binaries
like /usr/bin/gcc and the like contain references to /tools/include,
which appear to be debug symbols.

Rebuilding the offending packages appears to fix them, but I'd quite
like to know how this happened, since this is almost certainly a bug in
my build scripts. Can anyone suggest what would cause this? It's as
though programs and libraries in /tools were still taking precedence
over those built later.

Simon.