xorg build

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 9 15:51:57 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:09:06PM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >  But, it's all about what works for you - ISTR Randy uses some
> > package management system which identified files being overwritten
> > by something else in the base LFS system, which I certainly hadn't
> > known about.
>
> I assume from your comments above that you use something akin to
> install-log.

 I don't think I do - for system builds I just touch a file, do the
install, then find what is newer than the file (I don't ever
automate uninstalling, so when files like /etc/ntp.drift show up, I
don't really care.  OTOH, if I've been browsing with konqueror while
doing the install, I get mighty annoyed - cache in /var instead of
~/ which is on a separate fielsystem here).  For BLFS editing, I
mostly use a DESTDIR install (or, a series of them with different
build settings).
>  If so, this is a very simple addition.  Before moving your
> installed files log to the final destination, grep -R across the
> destination directory for each file in the temporary log file, append
> something useful, say "\(M\)" for modified, to the line if you find it
> already installed. :-)  When I get around to finishing my packaging
> scripts...

 Interesting, I'll try to remember that.

ĸen