xorg build

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 9 12:53:14 PST 2008

Ralph Porter wrote:
> Ok, so disecting this command

First, please do not top post.  Try to insert your comments at logical
points in the quoted text of the previous message so that they have some
relation to the points presented.  Then, if necessary, try to trim
anything that is no longer relevant to the conversation (though a lot of
us still fail at that ;-) ).

> grep -v '^#' ../${section}-${version}.wget | wget -i- -c \
>      -B http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/${section}/
> md5sum -c ../${section}-${version}.md5
>
> says (if i read the man pages correctly) that ../proto77.2.wget should
> contain a list of files that I want to wget?

Yes.  Exactly.

> the -i- looks like a typo, but not sure.

No it is not a typo.  The -i denotes the file to read a list of targets
from.  The dash immediately following 'i' tells wget to read from stdin
(ie: the output of the grep command via the pipe (|) symbol).

> OK, if im correct, then where is the list of files?
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModuleDescriptions
>
> do i just cut and paste all files that have proto/* into the .wget file?

NO!  That would be bad.  The list of files is contained in the
proto-7.2.wget file. There is a link a little further up the page in the
'Additional Files' section.  Right click on the proto-7.2.wget link and
save as proto-7.2.wget into the xc/ directory.  Run the commands as
presented from the specified directory (in this case xc/proto/).

-- DJ Lucas