kernel configuration and installation

Richard Melville richard.melville at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 3 11:39:10 PST 2008

>  That implies you are using LFS-6.2.  I'm afraid I think glibc-2.3.6
> is now regarded as "very old".
>
>  I don't know what to recommend - LFS-6.3 is about to become "old",
> hopefully within the next 3 weeks, but as I said in a different
> thread I expect there to be a *lot* of breakage with the package
> versions currently in BLFS.  Meanwhile, I see that you've just
> reached the final stage of your build :-(

Hi Ken

You were close -- it's actually LFS-6.1.1 with errata, and glibc-2.3.4
and gcc-3.4.3.

The thing is I wanted to try an experiment; I wanted to see if an oldish
version of LFS could be used to build an up-to-date fully-functioning OS
with GUI, and I think that  I've succeeded.  I've had very few problems
with LFS-6.1.1 -- there was an issue with glibc-2.3.4 and Xorg but DJ
had come up with a workaround.  I think that the only other modification
that I made was to upgrade gettext to a newer version.

Kernel headers have only been a problem with VLC and by disabling DCCP
support it built OK.

The finished product is a stripped down gnome environment with openbox
and the AWN launcher.  It has recent versions of scribus, ganttproject,
gnucash, gimp, inkscape, dia, speedcrunch (calculator), cornice (image
viewer), and the latest VLC, thunderbird 2, and firefox-3.0.3.  I'm just
finishing open office version 3 to (more or less) complete the build,
which seems quite stable so far.

The major problem is now the hardware. I wanted to use a low power,
fanless, CPU and chose a VIA mini-ITX board with a 600MHz processor.  It
was quite fast when I was in text mode, but now that I have all the
graphics assembled it has slowed to a crawl.  I'm going to have to
rethink it.

Anyway, my point is that (exploits aside) older versions of LFS can be
put to good use.  I have read, although I am not qualified to comment,
that gcc-3.x.x produces better, and more concise, code than gcc-4.x.x.

When somebody with only a rudimentary knowledge of Linux begins their
first LFS build it can be quite daunting and, more importantly here,
take a long time.  To be told that their build is now out-of date after
spending hours and hours crafting it is, I believe, a little
dispiriting.  I realise that we have to move on but I do feel that a
better balance can be struck.

I didn't mean for this to sound too critical.  I believe that the
LFS/BLFS project is an incredible learning environment.  It has
certainly taught me a great deal about Linux and I hope that it has a
long life ahead of it.  I'd like to thank everybody involved in it.

Richard