test

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 08:10:38 PST 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Brittany Dunlap <xdunlapx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM, GMail <rportermail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I don't know if there is a bug or feature with this mailing list.
>>
>> I submitted three questions using a gmail address and each one was put
>> on hold pending moderator approval, which never came.
>>
>> This is why I put out the test.
>
>> On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Steve Prior wrote:
>>
>>> The tubes are working.
>>>
>>> Steve

> I had the same problem. I found out it's because by default gmail uses
> html/rich text for compozing emails. You can choose "Plain Text" when
> compozing emails via gmail webmail. That fixes that problem.

Yeah, this is the "suspicious headers" error, right? IMO, it's a
broken setup on the server. spam-assassin is configured to allow HTML
mail through, but then mailman looks in the headers for for
spam-assassin's HTML markers and blocks the mail. Since mailman
doesn't know how to interpret something that's configured as a bad
header, it sends back a pretty useless error message. I think it would
be better to just have spam-assassin flag HTML mail as spam since this
will at least bounce back to the user with a useful message.

The reason HTML mail is blocked is because a lot of spam comes in HTML format.

The moderators do try to go through the list queues periodically to
see if there's anything that should be let through, but it's a tedious
job that doesn't happen as often as it should.

--
Dan