kernel configuration and installation

Wolfgang Messingschlager w.mess at freenet.de
Sat Nov 1 09:49:52 PDT 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 06:10:50PM +0000, Richard Melville wrote:
>>>  I've never looked at VLC.  Looking at /usr/include/linux seems
>>> a reasonable thing for a configure script to be doing.  Which kernel
>>> headers did you use when building glibc, and what is now reported to
>>> be missing-and-required ?
>>>
>> Ken
>>
>> I believe that my original kernel headers were 2.6.12.  The headers that
>> VLC was looking for were the DCCP related ones ones that are available
>> with the 2.6.26.5 kernel that I had just installed.
>>
>  That implies you are using LFS-6.2.  I'm afraid I think glibc-2.3.6
> is now regarded as "very old".
>
>  I don't know what to recommend - LFS-6.3 is about to become "old",
> hopefully within the next 3 weeks, but as I said in a different
> thread I expect there to be a *lot* of breakage with the package
> versions currently in BLFS.  Meanwhile, I see that you've just
> reached the final stage of your build :-(
>
> ĸen

Hi Ken,

I am now in the middle of chapter 8 and I have now the problem to build
a kernel which doesn't need a initrd file. I got a hint from Dan
Nicholson to use
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y

I am now recompiling the kernel and I want to check if that works.

But I am now surprised the point you write about BLFS. Do you suggest to
have LFS-6.3 in order to use it or do you suggest make a new LFS within
the next 3 weeks?

Wolfgang